My Patreon page
Main YouTube channel
Get Into Woodworking
Support & Apparel
Etsy store, Tree2Gift

27 May 2018

Out With The Bodgers at Wakehurst

You can't really beat the setting of Wakehurst for anything wood related. We headed up there this Sunday to enjoy the terrific gardens, and to explore the Wild Wood Festival. In particular, I had been invited to have a go at pole-lathe turning with Andrew of the Association of Pole-Lathe and Green Woodworkers.
The weather was gorgeous, although a little hot and humid, especially down in the glade with the pole-lathe turners and mosquitoes! I had only tried a pole-lathe for a couple of minutes before, so I wasn't expecting to achieve too much - maybe attempt to turn a clean cylinder and try a bead or two. However Andrew had a much better idea, tying in with the #TOOLMake Challenge that's running at the moment, and suggested making a round mallet. I use a large round mallet quite often, preferring it to the square headed variety, but I didn't own a small one for more delicate work. So, we had a goal. Next was the material, and when Andrew produced a 10" ash round, about 20" long, I knew I was in for a workout. The work I normally do is quite light, and I take my time - I'm not built for strength or endurance any longer! Anyway, with a goal and materials, tools and Andrew's knowledge, we had a project.

Of course, I did complete the mallet, which is a great addition to my tools. What's more, I learnt a lot about green woodworking and pole-lathe turning, as well as some general techniques that I'd never used before.
As a self-taught power turner, I can do what I need, am confident teaching at a basic level, and I'm safe. After today's experience, I have some more skills to try on the power lathe, and the strong desire to make a
pole-lathe of my own.
If you're interested in finding out more I strongly suggest checking out the website at www.bodgers.org.uk and finding your local group.
My light mallet, with burnt decoration
Needless to say, I videoed the build, and it will soon be available on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.