My Patreon page
Main YouTube channel
Get Into Woodworking
Support & Apparel
Etsy store, Tree2Gift

4 June 2016

Ask Mitch - Shaker Frame & Panel Doors with a No.45

Can a No.45 make a Shaker Frame & Panel Door?

have you ever tried to make a shaker style rail and stile cabinet door with the #45. I think can do it but I need to figure out the steps in the process that would eliminate serious mistakes.
let me know what your thoughts are on the subject.
Mike

Was there a particular shaker style you were hoping to emulate? I'm only familiar with the very simple and plain style, for which the 45 could plough the grooves on the rails and stiles, and cut a rounded corner rebate on the back of the panels (flute to define width, then straight cutter to remove waste).
Mitch


...that is pretty much my thoughts on it also. MY problem is that I'm just not sure how to approach the tenoned end as yet. I know how to make the tenon but making a "undercut/round" to accommodate the round over on the stile at the corner. I think if I make a stopped groove on the rail the tenon won't show but that would require a square shoulder instead on the rounded shoulder that is usually found on shaker cabinet doors.
I have enclosed a pic ... this is what I want the shape to be like. if I square off the tenon on the rails and remove the same amount from the stile, I think it can be done with a #45.
Mike

I would suggest the mitred joint for the round over detail, which avoids the coped curved undercut. I would also use a longer tenon with a haunch to fill the end of the stiles grooves.
Were you going to use a bead cutter to form the round over?
I would definitely suggest making some test pieces first, but I'm pretty sure you could make a good stab at it with the 45
.
Mitch

I agree with the miter is a good idea, and the haunch as cover. I will need to use a bead cutter ,I don't have any H&Rs yet and no wooden molding planes at all . But I believe if you do the groove first and then the bead it can be done without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Mike

Whether you cut the bead or form the groove first will probably be best determined by some trial attempts. Either way you will be removing material that one of the skates should be riding on, and as such you may need to install a sacrificial packing strip - easier if the groove is done first. I shall wait to hear how you get on!
Mitch


Recommended watching: Living with a Stanley No.45


Email your questions to me at mail@womadeod.co.uk

And if you have a better answer, please comment below and/or email me



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.